UA-58876507-1 Jump to content
Welcome Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Electreak

What is HDR?

If you have not been paying attention to TV innovations in the past few years, you’re not the only one. 3D was worse than trying to push 4k on everyone. 

TV companies seem to want to forget 3D like Amazon with the Fire Phone. 

With TV corporations attempting to always throw a new technology down your throat and act like it’s the best new thing on the market, it’s not a surprise that we are where we are in the TV realm.

The lack of true innovation is a real first world struggle that has to be overcome before we can truly trust that the TV companies are really selling us what they are promising. The best viewing experience in our Livingroom for the money ignoring OLED that is.

Getting back to the matter at hand. HDR is the new tech on the market. HDR standing for High Dynamic range. This tech makes the contrast between the whitest whites and darkest blacks accentuated, colors are more realistic and the entire image becomes more vibrant.

This tech is great when implemented correctly, but requires all tech between your Blu-Ray player, and the TV to be HDCP compatible. Also the implementation of HDR varies from Disc to Disc. This is also supported of the top streaming techs from Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix to VuDu.

This is also supported by the PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, and new PC Games Including Resident Evil 7, and Battlefield 1.

I even went down to my local Fry’s Electronics for a new TV for this reason.

Not to mention that there was a great deal on the TV I was interested in.

Do you remember that wow that you got when you first saw HDTV? HDR is a similar experience.

I know what you’re thinking. Okay Jonesyboy, how does it work!?

HDR compatibility is a two part system. The TV, and the source device.

The TV part is easy, for the TV to be HDR compatible, it should be able to produce more light than a normal TV in certain areas of the image. This is similar to local dimming, but to an even greater range.

Tied in with HDR is Wide Color Gamut, AKA (WCG). For years TVs have been capable of a greater range of colors than what’s possible in Blue-Ray or HD downloads. This is where things get tricky.

You don’t want the TV just creating these colors willy-nilly. It’s better left to the director of the video content to decide where they would like these colors to be. An HDR TV needs HDR content to look beautiful. This content is getting easier to find every day. Amazon, and Netflix ore some good option for 4K HDR content. Another source of HDR content is physical discs.

Now that you know you need to have an HDR compatible TV, and HDR compatible source device this being an HDMI 2.0a connection. Do you need new cables or connectors? To answer that, no. The current HDMI cables can carry HDR signal just fine. You can check with your manufacturer to see if your device is HDR compatible.

If you like I can make another video about HDMI 2.0a updates. Just let me know down in the comments.

Here are some examples of HDR in action.

From what I’ve been hearing, and reading about HDR is TV experts are truly excited. 4K itself didn’t have anyone this excited. The common comment about the transition from 1080p to 4k was “More pixels are cool, but better pixels would be amazing.”

You can see my video on 4k TVs here.